The electoral roll contains the names of persons who are eligible to vote and are not deprived, temporarily or permanently, of the right to vote. 

The electoral roll for these elections is made up of: 

  • A register of voters residing in Catalonia (CER).
  • Register of residents abroad, and who are registered in the municipalities of Catalonia (CERA).

The Electoral Roll Office at the National Institute of Statistics (INE) is tasked with compiling the electoral roll in partnership with local councils and consulates.

In addition, the people in charge of the Civil Registry and the Registry of Convicted Offenders and Fugitives must report any circumstance that may affect registration on the electoral roll.

You check whether you’re registered during the period of exposition and rectification of the roll during the voting period between 3 and 10 November, at: 

  • The provincial Office of the Electoral Roll in your province.
  • At town halls and consulates.
  • The electronic office of the National Institute of Statistics ( In this case, the query requires an electronic certificate issued by the Electronic Office of the National Institute of Statistics (INE). 

You can also check the information by calling the Electoral Roll Office on 901 101 900. 

Voters who have changed address or are voting for the first time will need to check, specifically, that their details are correct. 

Addresses and telephone numbers of Electoral Roll Offices


Via Laietana, 8, entresol

8003 Barcelona

Telephone 1: 901 101 900

Telephone 2: 932 957 418

Telephone 3: 932 957 422

Fax 1: 933 101 923

Fax 2: 932 957 403



Cap de Creus, 4-6, baixos

17005 Girona

Telephone 1: 972 200 099

Fax 1: 972 227 306

Fax 2: 972 219 000



Bonaire, 47-49

25004 Lleida

Telephone 1: 973 238 224

Telephone 2: 973 230 171

Fax 1: 973 236 489



Pare Agustí Altisent, 1

43005 Tarragona

Telephone 1: 977 248 085

Telephone 2: 977 249 662

Fax 1: 977 213 340

Fax 2: 977 227 609

Yes. Registration on the electoral roll is compulsory in order to vote.


Yes. Early in the year all residents who will turn 18 between 1 January and 31 December of the current year are entered on the electoral roll with the annotation “minor”.

These “minors”, registered on the electoral roll, can vote if they have turned 18 by 21 September or turn 18 on the 21st itself.

The electoral roll that will be used is the one closed on 1 August 2017.

If your details are incorrect, you can file an application to change them or a complaint between 3 and 10 November in your Town or City Council, consulate or provincial Electoral Roll Office. 

Only claims about the following issues will be admitted:  

  • Rectifying mistakes in personal details.
  • Change of address in the same constituency.
  • Non-inclusion of the complainant on any electoral roll section in the constituency in spite of being entitled to inclusion.  

The following will not be admitted:  

  • Applications concerning a change of address from one constituency to another made after 28 July 2017, the date when the electoral roll was closed.  

If the application is submitted to: 

  • Your local council, you will be required to show your national identity document, passport or driving licence (you must provide a photocopy), or
  • The provincial Electoral Roll Office, where you will have to show your national identity document, passport or driving licence (you must provide a photocopy) and a certificate showing you are registered on the census register.  

Provincial Electoral Roll Offices will rule on complaints and applications no later than 13 November and will display these rulings publicly on 14 November. They must also notify the complainant, local councils and consulates in regard to their decision.

An electoral roll card is a document issued by the Electoral Roll Office containing the updated details of registration on the electoral roll and of the section and polling station where you have to cast your ballot.  

It is purely informational in nature and cannot be used for identification when you vote.

Specific electoral roll certificates are issued exclusively by provincial Electoral Roll Offices.  

There are two types: 

  • Registration for a specific electoral roll certificate.  It verifies that the person presenting it is registered on the roll even though they are not on the lists. 
  • Correction of specific electoral roll certificate errors. The person is on the lists but there is a mistake in their details (name, surname, etc.).  

Specific electoral roll certificates must be presented when you cast your ballot.

You must report a change of address to the local council concerned. 

If you have a change of address in the same municipality, it may lead to a change in the section or polling station where you have to vote. 

Changes reported after 28 July 2017 (the date on which the electoral roll is closed) do not appear on the electoral roll and, therefore, cannot be taken into account; changes reported prior to this date can be however.